Friday, May 16, 2014

Week 2: Stars and Steel

(An alternate title is "Black Steel... Can't Finish Due to Fangirling." Your hint at what the hell I'm talking about is somewhere in this post.)



Polishes used (all polishes I've never used before):

  • China Glaze in White on White
  • China Glaze in Polarized
  • Rainbow Honey in Stellar Treat (new polish!)
  • Julep in Stefani

Tools used:

 None!

Combinations on each nail:

Thumb: White on White (3 coats) for the base and Stellar Treat on top (2 coats)
Pointer finger: Polarized (3 coats)
Middle finger: Stefani (2 coats)
Ring finger: White on White (3 coats) for the base and Stellar Treat on top (2 coats)
Pinkie finger: Polarized (3 coats)

What did I have in mind when I started this manicure?

Originally, it was all going to be metal-looking colors for a steely manicure, but then my Rainbow Honey mystery bags arrived and I fell in love with Stellar Treat. Also, I knew one of the polishes I wanted to use originally would not come off easily and after struggling to scrub Rosa off for twenty minutes, I knew the planned polish needed to be used another week. That made me pick up White on White and Stellar Treat to fill the gap the other polish would have gone in.

Only while waiting on my manicure to dry did I see that hey, this is totally declaring my loyalty to a ship I know is never going to happen but still ship anyway. I'm not always into romance in fiction, but when I am, it crawls into things like my manicures.

My conclusions:

Jesus Christ, are all whites this hard to work with? One layer was spotty, two still didn't make it opaque, and three was too much to the point of making it goopy. This isn't the only white polish I've had this problem with either. Otherwise, I'm pretty happy with how the colors went on. My worries are now on how they will wear and how they'll come off. I'm hoping the thumb and ring fingers keep on because after SEVEN EFFING COATS (3 of white, 1 top coat on those, 2 glittery stars, 1 final top coat), I might just destroy something if they chip too easily.

Also, if I decide to jump ship from Julep's Maven program (I originally typed "problem," which says a lot), Rainbow Honey is where I should go. Too bad they don't take my credit card; I had to use my debit card to order the polish and I'm not draining my debit card full of savings money/emergency money for nail polish. Even I know where to stop. (But seriously, I need me a full-size bottle of Stellar Treat because I used up half my 5 mL bottle painting my nails.)

Also on that Rainbow Honey train of thought, I really should have been more precise when putting it on because it looks especially messy on other nails not in this picture and it would have saved me some to use in the future had I done it better. Amateur painter is still very amateur.

1 comments:

  1. Your nails are so very pretty pretty! Your last one actually inspired me to do something with mine for the first time in I don't know how long. I didn't get the hint though- what the hell are you talking about?

    ReplyDelete